Tuesday, July 30, 2013

When in Changchun...construction can make traffic a nightmare!

I've taken the train from Changchun to elsewhere a few times now. To avoid the uncertainty of traffic, I take the tram near my hotel directly to the train station south building. However, all of the trains leave from the north building, which is a super long underground tunnel away (like ten to fifteen minute walk underground).

This was super convenient my first train ride, but by the second, they closed the tunnel for construction, so you had to make your own way from the south building to the north building. The options are:

1. The free shuttle bus! I took this 2-3 times until I learned the error of my ways. It's not that bad, except for two things. First, people stuff themselves into the bus, so it's super super full. Still, windows are open so it's not that bad unless the second thing comes into play: TRAFFIC. The route is literally down the road, under a freeway, and turn right at the next street, about a five minute drive with no traffic. However, I have never seen this road not filled with traffic, and the last time I went to catch a train, I waited in line, watched a bus try to leave and then sit in front of me another five minutes, turned my head and saw that the previous free bus was sitting about a 2 minute walk from me and likely had moved about 50 meters in the last 15 minutes, and decided I'd follow the crowds and see if I could walk there. And it was an easy 15-20 minute walk! It is sort of muddy and dust filled and with high potential of getting hit by a car, but it was sooo much easier. Here's a photo of the stuffed bus:
Full of ppl in the bus!
And another one!

At least the windows are open...
2. So two was walking, the only other one I tried out. And I already described it all to you. So uh, on to the other ones that I saw and thought were funny!

3.
There's the classic taxi as shown above. Probably unlikely to let you in unless you're going in a different direction though...
4. 
    
Or drop a wheel for one of these tiny taxis? This was the first time I ever saw three wheel cars...the sign says '南站' or 'nanzhan', which means 'South stop' for the southern train station building

5. 
Or one of these bike golf course-esque style things. Tiny with shade and some siding?
6. 
Or forget about the siding and grab one of these. Take at your own risk!
7. Or finally...
Just scooter it! At least the driver's wearing something for safety?
Anyways, these are some of the typical types of transportation in Chinese cities, though I've never seen so many at once as at this train station. 

No comments:

Post a Comment